Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Let's start at the top!!


Well on to the famous roof job!! There was (past tense - now a new larger hole in the hall) in the bathroom the smallest of holes to get through into the roof space. On venturing through not knowing what I would find in the way of bugs and crawlies never mind roof problems.
To my surprise no bugs or crawlies, a relatively new felted roof - the construction of which amazes me and they left the old chimney up and built the new roof over it see picture. You could however see the light from below coming through the olive wood ceiling!! What to do - the only thing to do was to lag it out.No problem I hear you say we do this in England all the time however we are are in bungalow type building with 12o square metres of lagging to buy and fit.
Buying and fitting no problem, it was the clean up job first of olive leaves, dust, sand, beer tins (empty sadly) and other rubbish the roofers had left behind. It took two days to sweep it all out - my turn to do some sweeping - Mrs Sweep was emptying buckets of filth for me. Once swept you could see even more light coming up through the boards. Off to the builders yard for some rock wool, when I told them I would need at least 12 bales as that's how it comes out here he threw 1 bale down (10 strips to a bale) and gave me two strips from another bale - in his mind 12 strips. I said no 12 packs - he nearly fell off his roof - in that car he asked?? Any way I took two went home unloaded and went back for another 2.
Ever worked with fibreglass?? Lovely stuff it gets everywhere, no itch too small and it goes on for days. A further two days was spent grovelling about in tight corners, over beams, banging my head and generally being too hot.
12 bales later, lots of swearing, sweating, showering and to great guffaws of the guys at the builders yard when I kept going back for more it was all done!
Not a job I want to have to do again but you can certainly see - dust wise - and feel the difference.
Mrs sweep was getting well hacked off with continual sweeping as I grovelled about in the roof space and pushed more filth down through the cracks and I was well hacked off with banging my head and knees on beams and joists - which incidentally are not uniformly apart like they are in the UK just as and where so the rock wool does not always fit between them so I had to cut everyone to size.
Well we now have cosy evenings and the occasional shower of dust as things continue to settle above.
We can now get back to planned jobs but we are convinced there will be more surprises along the the way.
A little more on life on Corfu next time - keep on blogging. . . . .

No comments: